I fell into cooking because of my love of food. I look to recipes for inspiration and then I play with what I have. When you join a CSA from a local farm, you sink or swim. I sank the first year. Drowned in a sea of vegetables, most of which I had never eaten and could not wrap my brain around neither cooking nor eating.
After a few years of treading the CSA waters, I have learned to be creative. Now, we are floating and even incorporating some new swimming techniques in the CSA waters. The CSA has allowed for me and my daughters to be connected on this. We go pick up the share together. We appreciate the value of this…TOGETHER.
Today’s the first day of summer vacation, Erica woke up wanting to eat pancakes. I thought, no way, let’s eat eggs. She came up with eggs but wanted to add sausage. I told her to throw some rainbow swiss chard in there. Sounds crazy but it’s like putting spinach in your eggs. Chop it finely, you barely taste it. Sausage &eggs from a local farm, swiss chard from local farm CSA. Local eating= good eating.
For lunch, it’ll be leftover sausage-swiss chard saute with quinoa which will go into peppers. Bake. Eat. Enjoy!
- 2 tbsp ghee(clarified butter) in a saute pan( If you want it to be vegan use coconut or olive oil. I used ghee because I had some and it was almost finished, so trying to finish it up 🙂
- Saute half a cup of onions( I used leeks because I had but usually I use red onions). Chop three small cloves garlic( you can use garlic scapes which I get from my CSA) and add to onions once softened in oil. Add tsp of salt to wilt onions and garlic quicker.
- Saute swiss chard( I used maybe 2 bunches- 6 whole pieces). Add cooked sausage(cooked from the morning). Add 1/2 to 1 cup quinoa to ensure the quinoa adds to the substance of the stuffing, so the pepper stays stuffed. ( Eyeballing)
- Add pepper to taste and maybe another tsp of salt( but really to taste). I had arrabiata(spicy Italian seasoning) so I put in a 1/2 tbsp. to this as well. ( See I use what I have).
- Cut tops off peppers and make cups/boats . Boats are peppers cut lengthwise(see pic below)/
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Place peppers on sheet tray with foil coated with olive oil.
- Fill pepper boats with stuffing.
- Place in oven 15-20 minutes.